Saturday, November 2, 2019

"Lady, Your Chicken Is Dead"


                                             Luan’s Yard by Sharin Barber                                         
                                                                                                   August 2016
“Lady, your Chicken is dead”

So said Doug, the fence-post contractor.  He pointed, and sure enough, lying sprawled on it's side on the grass, a few feet from the front door, looking decidedly deceased, was one of my red hens.  I’d had a boarding client dropping off her two dogs at the Kennel about 10 minutes earlier, but both had been on leash and there had been no commotion.  My heart sank as I walked towards her, wondering what/who had killed her.

I stood over the prone body sprawled on the grass looking for signs of injury, and didn't see any.  Then, I started to wonder, and said aloud to Doug, "I think she's just asleep!"   Doug snorted in disbelief. Gently I nudged her with my hand. After a moment she stirred, the eye facing up opened, and then she rolled onto her feet, gave me an annoyed look, and wandered off to find another sunny spot to resume her nap without interruptions from silly humans.

Just another day at Roverdale...


No comments:

Post a Comment